Thursday, November 1, 2012

Butternut Squash - It's a Peeling (so bad)

My garden this year included my usual assortment of Butternut Squash.  Squished in a box with Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Crookneck and Beans.  Worked pretty well actually.



I love Butternut Squash Bisque. It's amazing. Creamy, warm, decadent. Problem is I absolutely hate peeling the darn things. I usually almost slice off my arm trying to cut them in half and it just gets worse when I try to peel them. Grrrrr. So I found this way of peeling them that saved my life (and my fingers). Now I can have Butternut Squash Bisque in peace :)

 
First cut them in half and then scrape out all the seeds.  The cutting for me is the dangerous part.  Limbs have been in danger as I wield my knife.

 
Then put a bit of water (like a teaspoon worth) in the seed bowl area and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap.  Then into the microwave for about 7 minutes.  It should feel a bit squishy when you take it out of the microwave.  If not, put it back in for a couple more minutes.

 
Then take it out and let it sit on the counter for a couple of minutes to cool down.  Peel off the plastic wrap (it will stick to the outside skin - don't panic your getting rid of that anyway).  Then using a sharp paring knife just peel away at the squash. 
 
Perfect.  Ready for Soup!  My next blog has my favorite recipe for Butternut Squash Bisque!

No comments:

Post a Comment