Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Planting a Herb garden

Okay, you know those wonderful things you see on Pinterest where they make old used stuff look amazing by just planting something lovely in it.  Well we're putting that to the test.  I bought this used something or other (have no idea what it was for) at a garage sale.  I love the fact that it has wheels, is two tiered and is black metal.  And have decided to make it my herb extravaganza on the top and put beets on the bottom. 
 
 
Next stop our local Home Depot and a roll of burlap. I decided not to by those bird nest things made of Cocoa strands they sell since my size needed to be customized. Normally I think I would do the bottom tier first and then the top. But I'm showing pictures of only the top process since it's easier to photograph. Anyway I put the burlap in first and then (because it gets heck-a [yes, I said heck-a] hot here).
 
 
Yes, that picture is fuzzy.  It's not your eyes.
 
 
I am lining it with a heavy plastic that I had in the garage that I use for painting. I try to buy everything in rolls since I end up using it all at some point anyway. After lining it with the plastic I carefully cut the plastic in several spots so that there will be drainage from the 'Pot' I am creating. Then I flip the burlap over into the 'Pot' to line it and make it look nice.
 
 
 
Now I fill that puppy with potting soil. I avoid the name brands but this time I picked up a bag at OSH usually I go for something basic since I do my own fertilizing. Then I add my own mix of planting medium. I found this on Pinterest and am giving it a go this year. I use 2 cups of bone meal, 1 cup Epsom salts, 17 crushed aspirin with no coating and a couple dozen egg shells (that have been washed, vitamixed small and then dried). About a 1/4 cup of the mix is added to the bottom of each hole for the plants. This should give them the vitamin burst for their new growth.
 
 
 
 
Then from my kitchen window where I have been experimenting with growing from seeds.  My herbs.  I have just Basil, oregano and rosemary.  I already have mint in it's own pot and it's so invasive that I didn't want to include it in the 'Pot'.  I finally decided a needed a few more and added Thyme and Sage.
 
Update:  So after a month it's doing really well.  The lining idea was a plus and it doesn't dry out to quickly.  But I left the bottom open still.  I will probably still put beets in it later.
 
Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment